Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Today We Begin A New Journey

On Halloween this year Cody noticed that LittleMan had a swollen mass on the side of his neck. We thought it could be a swollen lymph node (the size of a golf ball) and called his doctor. The next day at his appointment she informed me that he was not sick at all, it was congenital muscular torticollis, a shortened/pulled muscle in his neck that happened while he was in the womb.

 So, LittleMan holds his head crooked. Could you imagine viewing the world crooked? Well I guess he doesn't mind since that's what he's used to. He couldn't really see for awhile after birth, anyways, to understand what's considered normal. But when the torticollis is "fixed" (that is if physical therapy can fix him or if he responds to it) is his world going to turn upside down? Or, I suppose to him, it would then be crooked. 

Today we began physical therapy. It terrified me. So I can rip his skin if I pull too much? Yes. So I have to push down on his face to stretch the muscle? Yes. If you don't "air out" the short side, he can grow mildew and fungus on his skin? Yes. WTF?

The therapist showed me a few stretches to do after every diaper change (I guess that way you can't forget) and directions on the aspects of everyday infant life, like sleep, play, and feeding. I was so overwhelmed that I honestly keep confusing myself at every task. Hold which shoulder down and turn his neck which way? 

A 45 minute appointment once a week for at least the first five weeks. Every two to three weeks once he shows significant improvement. He tilts at a 25 degree angle. Under 5 degrees is the long term goal. If not corrected, he could have mobility issues his whole life; his neck, turning his head, his shoulder and arm... Scoliosis... Thank you insurance, but man the copay is going to get expensive. 

I know that after a few days of practice it will be easier. But until then, the easier, I will stay confused, a little panicked, and emotional. Of course I'll wait to be a wreck when I am out of his sight. I don't want to make him a nervous wreck. 



2 comments:

  1. It will all be ok in the end. I had all these same thoughts when they told me Ryker had a cleft palate in the hospital. All you can do is take it day by day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take him to the chiropractor. I used to work for a chiropractor and I've seen Dr. Lowery "fix" torticollis in several infants. I had my daughter adjusted the day after she was born. She was having a latching issue on the left breast and after one adjustment she had no more latching issues. The force that is put on babies necks during labor is unreal especially if the doctor has to pull on the baby to get them out. Studies have indicated 90lbs of force. Physical therapy is also a great treatment for torticollis. I say to keep the body in "optimal" condition naturally go to the chiropractor, physical therapist and masseuse regularly.

    ReplyDelete